jazz player Danny endeavours to go beyond the rhythmic possibilities of
the piano, to bring a harmonic palette and melodic lyricism to every
instance whether solo or ensemble - to adorn, rather than distort the
character of a piece of music. To borrow a phrase from the great Hank
Jones, "to appeal to people who appreciate the subtleties of jazz ... to
be cognizant of a song's writer, to establish the melody and be true to
A regular performer in Toronto’s established jazz rooms such as The Rex
and The Home Smith Bar (Old Mill, Toronto).
His extensive repertoire ranges from the swing tunes of Benny Goodman and
Fats Waller to ballads and standards from the Great American Songbook, on
to the bop classics of Charlie Parker and post-bop standards of Miles
Davis and Herbie Hancock.
Danny performed with clarinet soloist Bob DeAngelis at the National Arts
Centre, Ottawa with the NAC orchestra in January 2010. He also appeared
with DeAngelis and his Champagne Symphony Orchestra at the "Tribute To
Benny Goodman" concert in January 2008 at Carnegie Hall on the 70th
anniversary of Goodman's original 1938 appearance. The Champagne Symphony
has performed New Year's Eve at Roy Thomson Hall and at concert halls
throughout North America. Visit www.thechampagnesymphony.com.
• “Tribute to Jim Galloway.” A “Live to Air” JAZZ FM broadcast with the
Don Vickery Quintet. Jan 2015.
• With the Ross Wooldridge Sextet “Tribute to Benny Goodman.” Recorded in
concert for JAZZ FM at Old Mill, Toronto. Broadcast Mar 2013.
• Other credits include numerous performances with jazz artists such as
Jim Galloway, Peter Appleyard, Guido Basso, Don Thompson, Dave Young,
Terry Clark and Henry Cuesta.
• In July 2007 Danny appeared with Polish jazz sensation Marek Balata at
the Isobel Bader Theatre in "Come A Little Closer."
• Danny is pianist for the Spitfire Band under the direction of Micky Erbe.
• Among the jazz vocalists Danny has backed are Bonnie Brett, George
Evans, John Alcorn, Jackie Richardson, Carol Welsman, Matt Dusk and
• Danny's quartet performed at the post-concert reception for Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth II at the Queen's gala held at Roy Thomson Hall, October
• His jazz festival appearances include the Toronto Downtown Jazz
Festival, festivals held at Ottawa, Orillia, Brantford, Port Hope and
Prince Edward County, and the Festival Of The Sound (Parry Sound).
• His work has been broadcast on CBC and JAZZ FM Radio.